Freifunk.net and Ninux.org have been accepted as mentor organizations for the Google Summer of Code 2012. It is fantastic news that the growing international free networks community is now represented by two organizations in the study program.
If you are looking for more information on how to participate get in touch with your local wireless community or introduce your ideas on the wiki or Wlanware mailing list. People on the list will direct you to specific subprojects and contact points if needed.
Freifunk.net is an umbrella organization for wlan networks and community projects around the world and welcomes student applications for software tools to build and enhance free networks including:
* projects for routing protocols like OLSR, B.A.T.M.A.N. or other freely licensed protocols
* firmwares for routers and software for network devices
* software for network specific content creation like network CMS’
* any other network related software project
If you are a student there are important links to follow:
* Idea Page: http://wiki.freifunk.net/Ideas
* Student Check List: http://wiki.freifunk.net/Student_Check_List
* Mailing List http://freifunk.net/mailman/listinfo/wlanware
* Freifunk GSoC Page http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/show/google/gsoc2012/freifunk
* Google Open Source Programs: http://socghop.appspot.com
There is an info day on March 15 in Rome. You can also meet many contributors to the community at the battle of the mesh in Athens from March 26-April 1: http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV5