Who I am
My name is Robert Marko, I am 21 year old Computer Science student in Osijek, Croatia. I am active member of Otvorena Mreža, a partner organisation of Wlan Slovenija here in Croatia. Also, active member of OpenWrt project.
Like with most of the projects,mine has the following goals:
- Simplification of the build system
- Move from Ubuntu 14.04 as a base image to 18.04 to get the benefits from OpenWrt-s move to GCC7.3
- Use OpenWrt generated image builders instead of building everything from source
- Upstreaming and updating crucial project packages
- Remove a number of hard coded outdated packages that are now provided by core OpenWrt
Bonding Period Experiences
I have already started working on my project by setting up the development environment with a deployment of Nodewatcher. Along the way I found out that installation was unfortunately broken so I fixed that and couple more bugs regarding packages used. I am now testing updates to newer versions of all Python packages used. Some of them were not updated for a couple of years.
My first goal will be to further analyze the build system as I am sure that some parts could be more optimised than in project proposal.
And then get to pushing packages upstream,that will most likely take the longest.
Best of luck to fellow GSOC students.