WASHINGTON, DC — Freifunk and the Open Technology Institute (OTI) at the New America Foundation released the official agenda for the 2013 International Summit for Community Wireless Networks. To be held in Berlin, Germany from October 2-4, 2013, the Summit brings together technology experts, policy analysts, community leaders, and university researchers working on state-of-the-art community wireless broadband projects worldwide. The event provides an opportunity for stakeholders to share strategies and challenges, discuss policy issues, and coordinate research and development efforts.
This year’s summit also commemorates the 10th anniversary of the creation of Freifunk community wireless networks. Founded in Berlin in 2003, Freifunk networks are now in operation in several cities across Germany. Like their counterparts around the world, Freifunk organizers and participants emphasize the importance of community control and stewardship of their own communications infrastructure.
Keynote speakers at this year’s summit include :
- Sascha Meinrath, Summit director, OTI founder and director;
- Jürgen Neumann, Freifunk co-founder and expert in open hardware;
- Amelia Andersdotter, Member of European Parliament from the Swedish Pirate Party and proponent for free and open source software and tools;
- Mahabir Pun, who has pioneered wireless networks in Nepal to connect remote mountainous communities;
- Joanna Varon Ferraz, researcher at Fundação Getulio Vargas in Brazil concerned with Internet and communications technologies for development (ICT4D);
- Björn Böhning, a Berlin state politician and advocate of local wireless networks and public access;
- Virginia Eubanks, author of Digital Dead End and researcher exploring the intersection of technology innovation and economic justice in the United States;
- Daniel Kitscha, Policy Officer, Spectrum Unit, DG CONNECT, European Commission
- and many experts and practitioners from around the world
For a copy of the agenda, please visit: here: http://2013.wirelesssummit.org/agenda
For more information or to register, please visit: http://2013.wirelesssummit.org/