Who wants to join the CeBIT? We have 100 free tickets for community members. Please add your name and email to the wikipage, if you want a ticket: http://wiki.freifunk.net/CeBIT_2012#Who
We will send you a registration code by email.
The CeBIT and Linux New Media are sponsoring Free/Open Source Projects to join the CeBIT from March 6-10 in Hannover, Germany. Freifunk was accepted as an Open Source organization. We have a booth and already have a confirmation of some Italien friends from the Ninux community who will join as well.
I have set up a Wiki page for everyone who would like to help with the organization.
Preparations and communications are running over the following channel:
The organizers already confirmed to us, that we will have power supply and Internet. "Connectivity will be by network cable, not by WiFi." I think we can take care of that.
* Announcement at heise http://www.heise.de/open/meldung/CeBIT-2012-Open-Source-Projekte-gesucht...
* CeBIT Website http://cebit.de
* Italian community http://ninux.org
* Organization Page for event http://wiki.freifunk.net/CeBIT_2012
* Preps and communication https://freifunk.net/mailman/listinfo/wlanware
23 Mar - 25 Mar 2012: BattleMesh v5 Warmup in Sarantaporo (GR)
26 Mar - 01 Apr 2012: BattleMesh v5 in Athens (GR)
Wireless Battle Mesh v5 is at hand and it is time to bring together the agenda. As last year's attempts to construct an agenda was well received and provided the grounds for numerous healthy discussions the broad majority asked for similar action. However, the number of talks is going to be reduced to leave more time for individual discussions and testing.
To allow an efficient handling of your submission, please provide the following information and send them to me directly in form of an email:
* your name
* the type of your slot (talk/workshop/panel discussion/lightening talk)
* your topic headline
* your topic description which can brief (does not need to exceed a couple of lines) but should provide a reasonable summary of your talk
* the dates of your stay at the event + (optional) preferred day for your slot
* length of the slot if you wish to do a workshop (all other slots will be limited to one hour - notify me in advance if you think that is not enough for you)
Feel free to contact me with your ideas in case you are unsure about your topic. Last year's agenda also should be able to provide some insights: http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV4/Agenda
Submissions are accepted until and including the 16th of March. Everyone missing this deadline still has the opportunity to apply for a lightening talk slot. These slots can be acquired by simply contacting me during the event. The list of registered lightening talks will be published in the battlemesh wiki.
The final program will be made available in the aforementioned wiki during the second week of March.
I’m writing about the results achieved with my Google Summer of Code project, for the Ninux community, under the umbrella of Freifunk (I thank them both for the opportunity they gave me).Briefly it consisted in developing a video chat feature for Diaspora*, a distributed social network.This project has received a very big feedback and appreciations from the entire Diaspora community, including the core team, who helped and supported me during the development.Basically, it provides two new functionalities to the Diaspora engine:
Starting Friday June 3 till Sunday June 5, 2011 freifunk.net, c-base and the German community invite you to the "Freifunk Wireless Community Weekend" at the c-base space station in Berlin. where
ad hoc workshopsall the ad-hoc workshops will take place in the seminar roomhackingmainhall hackcenter (Irgendwo an einem Tisch)social
Hardware BasarMany wifi activists has lockers and shelfs full of wifi equipment, boards, enclosures, wifi cards, antennas, cables and pigtails. A lot of wifi stuff just sits there and wait to be used or just gets dusty. If this equipment still works and can be used better, lets re-use it and share it to the wifi community.So bring it with you to the wireless community weekend and gift it to a big live moderation stage auction. All parts starts at one euro, the collected money goes back to the community as a donation to give a financial support the wireless community weekend event.
Zioproto posted a cool video with some impressions from Battle of the Mesh v4. Enjoy!
Our mailing list is here: http://freifunk.net/mailman/listinfo/wlanware
You can also use the OpenWrt mailing list for discussing Freifunk specific plugins and tools with OpenWrt devevlopers: https://lists.openwrt.org/mailman/listinfo/openwrt-devel
The application period starts on March 28, 2011. Please use the time to discuss your ideas beforehand already.
- March 28:19:00 UTC, Student application period opens.
- April 8: 19:00 UTC, Student application deadline.
- April 25: 19:00 UTC, Accepted student proposals announced on the Google Summer of Code 2011 site.
- May 23: 1. Students begin coding for their GSoC projects; 2. Google begins issuing initial student payments provided tax forms are on file and students are in good standing with their communities.
- July 11: 19:00 UTC, Mentors and students can begin submitting mid-term evaluations.
- July 15: 19:00 UTC, 1. Mid-term evaluations deadline; 2. Google begins issuing mid-term student payments provided passing student survey is on file.
- August 15: Suggested 'pencils down' date. Take a week to scrub code, write tests, improve documentation, etc.
- August 22: 19:00 UTC, Firm 'pencils down' date. Mentors, students and organization administrators can begin submitting final evaluations to Google.
- August 26: 19:00 UTC, 1. Final evaluation deadline, 2. Google begins issuing student and mentoring organization payments provided forms and evaluations are on file.
- August 29: Final results of GSoC 2011 announced
* Idea Page: http://wiki.freifunk.net/Ideas
* Student Check List: http://wiki.freifunk.net/Student_Check_List
* Mailing List http://freifunk.net/mailman/listinfo/wlanware
* Freifunk GSoC Page http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/show/google/gsoc2011/freifunk
* Google Open Source Programs: http://socghop.appspot.com
Wie angekuendigt findet am 31. Maerz eine Veranstaltung zu Freiem WLan in Berlin mit Freifunk im Radialsystem in Berlin stat. Der Ablaufplan ist wie folgt:
Ab 21h: Ausklang im Foyer & Empfang mit Speis und Getränk
Mittwoch, 31. März 2010, 19 - 21 Uhr
Radialsystem V GmbH - www.radialsystem.de
Holzmarktstraße 33 - S-Bhf. Ostbahnhof